Monday, September 29, 2008

Yard Sale

I'll admit that a yard sale is not really my thing. I know many poeple who love it. It is like a sporting event for them. Jim is good at yard sales; he doesn't even stop, it's just like his radar turns on. A few years ago I was looking for somthing. It was a couple of hundred dollars on e-bay, and no longer manufactured. I mentioned to him that I wanted this particular item. A couple of weeks later I get a phone call. He's at a yard sale with the item in hand. Was I willing to pay 20 bucks for it? DUH!


So when I was invited to join some others in a multi-family yard sale, I thought I'd give it a go. Some of these people are experts in the yard sale industry. I sorted, bagged, priced, and parted with cherished but useless things. I spent hours before hand to get things ready. I got up at the crack of dawn to load the trailer. I laid things out for the multitude that should have arrived. And nothing. Or very close to it. I think I made something in the neighborhood of 10 cents and hour, got sunburned, and ended up hauling most of it to charity.


Someone reminded me what a great feeling it is to get rid of all that stuff, and she was right. It was great to go down and actually see the floor in the basement. The deadline of the yard sale was good, it might have been months more if I hadn't had a deadline, so it wasn't completely a bust. However next time...I think I'll just go straight to Goodwill.

One of many items NOT sold at the garage sale.

Not that it was in mint condition, note the photo date...:)

1 comment:

Ang said...

I would have loved to be there for some serious serious yard sale bonding--my kids got the fever when our neighborhood had its anual yard sale. We didn't participate that day, but the twins and Allie snuck(sp?) out of the house, change in hand and found some great "treasures"