Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Parent teacher conferences

So I admit, Parent-teacher conferences instill in me the same fear as an adult that I had a a child. As a kid, it was always the most stressful night of the year. What was the teacher going to say? Would they out you for that little mishap that you thought was resolved, or would they hang you out to dry and you would get a second consequence at home? Were you really a good student? Or was the teacher going to recommend that you stay back a year? I hated PTC night. Unfortunately, the same fear exist, just in adult guilt form now. Will that C in Chemistry be because I work now and am not available to help with homework? Did they not turn in that paper because I was gone for a couple of days? Do they think I'm a rotten parent, a permissive parent, a parent who thinks their kid does no wrong? Most teachers are prettty good, they are real people and understand that it takes a lot to run a family. But I got really ticked off last night when a teacher said I didn't know my child well, because I didn't know where she sat in class! Last time I checked that was not on the parental radar of what you ask when they get home from school. Hey, I'm lucky if I remember who all of their teachers are, whether it is A day or B day, what grade they are in, and what afterschool activities are going on this week. I want to know who their friends are, what they like to do when they hang out, and what their college plans are. I DONT CARE WHERE THEY SIT IN CLASS AS LONG AS THEY ARE IN CLASS!
So what am I going to do about this problem. Frankly, nothing. She's got an A- BTW the same teacher asked whay I even bothered coming to PTC when my child was doing so well in school- and I still don't care where she sits. As for the other conferences with teachers, some went well, some not so much. Really, I just want the basics. Where do they stand gradewise? Can they make up any work? Is there any other problem? If the answer is no, just let me get on with it. I have 15 other teachers to see tonight...and I'm trying to be the perfect parent.

1 comment:

hutchingsheadquarters said...

you poor thing! i can't believe that teacher! seems like you can spot a child who doesn't come from a loveing/caring family i.e.(eye-brow ring), from one who does! well, you are a good mother and your children are doing good things, so dont' worry about it. maybe that teacher was just joking and you didn't notice! but either way, hang in there, you are amazing for even going!! props to you!