
I think St Patrick's day is becoming one of my favorites. I know, CRAZY! But here is why. The first year we moved into our house, our dear friends from college needed a place to stay when they came into town for her grandmother's funeral. We were happy to have them, we love them a TON! They were here in mid March, and one night she asked what we did for St Patrick's day. I told her we basically dressed in green...and that corned beef really didn't do much for the kids. She immediately introduced us to a new tradition, that we've kept ever since. And because there are not a million other traditions (Gifts, food, family, school programs- all of which are good but can add to the stress of a holiday) this one can be very simple. The Naughty Leprechauns come for a visit!
The first year when Steph was here, it had snowed the night before. This was already a novel thing because they are from California and rarely see snow, but the leprechauns took it a step further. They filled spray bottles with water and green food coloring and turned the snow green! They also stacked all the chairs in a pyramid and sprinkled glitter around. (We make sure there is no glitter in the house during March now). In more recent years they have tied the kitchen chairs together, dyed all breakfast food green, and made it so that when the toilets flush, they flush green water. This year they tied all the doorknobs together with green yarn, magically turned the milk green as it hit the glass, and when it was poured in to the french toast mix. They promise to only have the tricks last a day, and in their honor we have a green dinner!
This year we had Danna's Wonton Salad (See my other blog: whatafabulousdish.blogspot.com), green jell-o jigglers, Snickers salad (soon to be posted on my other blog), green beans, limeade and green frosted and sprinkled cupcakes. Jake got so excited that he was up early both Monday and Tuesday in anticipation of the Leprechauns.
So why do I love this day, even though it is a bit of work. Because my kids do; because it hasn't been ruined by what "has to be done"; because whatever happens, it is magic for a day:)
Green French Toast
Bennett with his green cupcakes
Grace's Favorite, Jell-o jigglers



3 comments:
HOW FUN!!! I want to do that. What good ideas
I love it! Celebrating is so much fun especially when it's something new.
Good thing you casually mentioned "my other blog" in this post. I checked it out - how fun!!!! For some reason, I can't comment on it - same thing on Heather's new blog. Hopefully I'll figure that out!
Post a Comment